All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Island Paradise
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:17 am 

Here's the updated version of my Island Paradise preset, Hans will update it in the preset list in the next ST release if he has time to put it in, but in the mean time you can get it here.

It's very competitive to all the Optimods in the surrounding markets here & the Omnia One & Wheatstone FM 25 in the market I'm using it in, it's probably just the settings they're using, but to my ears it sounds better than the Omnia 11 in the neighbouring market too.

I've run various types of music through it from Classical, Oldies/Classic Hits, CHR, Country, Rock, Heavy Rock, Metal, various "world" music, to comedy shows & old radio plays (theatre), & it seems to handle all quite well.

Please let me know if there's something that doesn't work or sounds bad with it.

It's quite loud with moderate MPX power & a good Dynamic range, if you want it louder, just push up the Advanced Clipper Drive (Loudness) & it should still handle it & sound good.

It's very clear with crisp highs & a solid bass. I've been hearing things in music with this, that I've never heard before, because they've been lost in the background.

It sounds good in a noisy environment like a car traveling along the freeway at high speed, & if you're in a quiet location using good headphones, you'll likely be able to hear a piece of paper slide across the desk in the studio.

The station I run it on is predominantly Classic Hits, but does have a wide variety of programming between 6pm & midnight weekdays & 6am - midnight weekends Sydney Australia time.

The stream can be heard here in 56k AAC+ Coast FM 96.3 http://stream.tcom.net.au:8000/coastfm

Paul Thompson can probably weigh in here & give a bit more explanation of the sound from an independent point of view, as he already has a copy for testing?

Good or bad, let me know what you think of it, & if you find any major issues.

You'll need everything licensed to run it, & ST 9.38 Beta Version 011 or later.

Attachments:
Glenn Pritchard - Island Paradise.sts [172.8 KiB]
Downloaded 871 times

Last edited by InPhase on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Island Paradise
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 am 

I've updated this preset using the Bass Harmonic filters in the latest release version 9.50 plus some other modifications.

Much the same as before but better, I'll leave it up to you to decide how it should be described?

It's not v53 since the original, that's just a code number, it's actually quite difficult to get just the right bass with the new filters with a nice growl, to match the rest of the sound, so it's actually a much higher version number.

You need everything licenced & be using the latest release ST v9.50.

Let me know what you think?

I've been running it on air & the web stream for a couple of weeks now, so you can pre-listen using the stream link above.

Attachments:
Glenn Pritchard - Island Paradise v53.sts [176.27 KiB]
Downloaded 614 times

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:28 am 

Latest update of my preset, it's already included in the latest release version of Stereo Tool, but I'll post here incase you haven't yet updated, or you like the sound & want to continue to use it after a future modified update?

You'll need everything licensed & it will work on anything post 9.53 Beta30

It's updated using the 4 band AGC & has been smoothed out, with a nice bass.

It’s powerful but not overly loud on air, it doesn’t blast your ears when you change stations, it does have a presence the other stations don’t seem to have, even at a distance from the TX when the reception starts to drop, the signal might be quite weak, but the audio is still strong (that wasn’t planned, just a nice side effect).

As per previous versions, this is on air & online & you can hear what it sounds like at the streaming address in the first post.

Attachments:
Glenn Pritchard - Island Paradise v963Beta030.sts [186.12 KiB]
Downloaded 530 times

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:16 am 

With some songs it sounds dull, with no mid hi and hi...

[EDIT] I was accidentaly set pre-emphasis to 50us for FM (is 75us in my country)

Last edited by beneyto on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:12 pm 

What songs?

I've tested a big range of music & it sounds fine, plenty of mids & if any more's added, highs are too strong & painful after a while.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:46 pm 

Sorry, my bad. When testing your preset in FM accidentaly I set pre-enphasis to 50us (75us in my country).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:03 am 

Hi Glenn,
I love your preset and it's on my antenna. However, the AGC doesn't react quickly enough when a low-level song starts. It takes about 4 seconds for the sound to come back up correctly. I'd like to do something more radical. When a song ends with the sound dropping, the system doesn't pick it up properly and you hear it drop too much on the air. I'd like it to stay up until the end. Which buttons should I use to improve this? It would be great to have your feedback. Many thanks in advance.