All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:42 am 

Here's my latest preset in the "Aussie Dreams" suite of presets.

It's based on my original Alpine Dreams & was just going to be a modified/updated version of that, but I modified so many settings & changed the sound, I thought I'd rename it to something new.

I've done some unconventional things with various settings, & it's quite balanced across the spectrum, with an unprocessed/natural sound.

I currently have it running on air on FM, & as a web stream.

Because it's quite balanced across the spectrum, it sounds good (I think), on just about any listening device, be-it computer or phone via web stream, or terrestrially on FM, using a small transistor radio or clock radio with a small cheap speaker, through to a multi speaker HiFi system with sub woofer.

I've had great feedback from my PD & Station manager about the sound & how clear/clean it is too, only problem is, it's showing up how bad some of our poor quality source material is (which is next on the replacement list).

I finished the preset off & it's running on ST 8.14, so it probably sounds best using that, I haven't tested it on anything before ST 8.12, so can't say if it works as well using old versions?

Have a listen & comment, because I'm interested in other's thoughts.
Attachment:
GLENN PRITCHARD - CITY DREAMS.sts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:06 am 

That sounds quite unique :)

What settings (apart from switching FM-Processing off, of course) would you recommend for webcasting only?

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:40 am 

Thanks Mike,

It depends on what you want it to sound like?

I have the same settings running on both FM & web.

I have 2 outputs, 1 to FM transmitter & one to the web stream encoder.
The output for the web stream encoder is fed as de-emphisized FM output, (settings are in the configuration, sound cards, normal output section).

Here's the link to our web stream if you want to hear what it sounds like live, it's encoded at 56k AAC. http://www.coastfm.org.au/listen-live-to-coast-fm-963 our web site, or on tunein http://tunein.com/radio/Coast-FM-963-s8113/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:58 pm 

Very good preset! I personally see a little too much clipping and it sounds a bit "cold" around 2-6kHz. But other than that not the usual distortion/deformation mess 90% of the usual Stereotool presets are.

"it's showing up how bad some of our poor quality source material is" ... BTW my personal experience is, that the Stereo-Image setting "Image Width Amplifier" brings out impurities in the sound when over 100%, so I never go >100% with this one. I use "Image Phase Amplifier" > 100% instead, which doesnt have this effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 am 

City Dreams v2.0

I've dropped the mids down a little & put more bass in.

Let me know your thoughts on v2.0 over v1.0

I haven't put this one on air or online yet, modified & tested on ST 8.20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:46 pm 

Both sound very similar to me but the second version has a little more edge on the bass which I like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 pm 

Thanks, the bass is what needed some work on v1. I felt it needed some changes to balance the sound up more & just take the edge off the brightness.

There's not going to be much sound difference, as am only doing very minor adjustments.

I've worked on the bass some more, & have also reduced some levels to give slightly more dynamic range.

Here's v3, I'll probably put this one to air & online, later in the week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:55 pm 

Found an issue; not sure if it's the preset settings or Stereo Tool itself but I noticed distortion when "Stereo Image" is enabled. I disabled it and the distortion went away immediately. It's especially noticeable with piano pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:13 am 

Quote:
Found an issue; not sure if it's the preset settings or Stereo Tool itself but I noticed distortion when "Stereo Image" is enabled. I disabled it and the distortion went away immediately. It's especially noticeable with piano pieces.
I thought there was some distortion in there too, but didn't nail it down to "Stereo Image".

I've got this one (v5) on air now, but I think there's some distortion in it too, give it a try & see what you think, it's more or less v3 with the v1 Equaliser in it.

I don't think v1 sounds as clear using ST 8.20 as it did on ST 8.14, so it could be something in Stereo Tool 8.20?

Another engineering friend said v3 sounded a bit rough on ST 8.14, but was better on ST 8.20, so I don't know?

I might have to roll back to ST 8.14 & put v1 back on air, & I'll put a bit more in the AGC Power Bass levels?