All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm 

Attachment:
8th Wonder.sts [84.68 KiB]
Downloaded 831 times
I've spent weeks trying to get the sound that I wanted out of the "7 wonders" preset, and finally came up with this. I've even posted my previous attempts, but then ended up deleting the messages, because I just couldn't come up with what I wanted. After tireless hours, I finally have something I like.

First off, this is for steaming radio only. There are no FM settings in this preset. I'm running an Internet streaming mainstream CHR station.

My goal was to get the benefit of the awesome bass multibands that Bojcha set up in 7 wonders, along with the awesome punch that you get from this preset. But what I was never able to achieve with the preset was the nice bright, softly glistening high end that I'm used to hearing from processed FM. I wanted that really smashed, soft, ever present highs in my signal.

Let me just say, that what Bojcha does with the Bass multiband in this preset is genius! It took me a while to figure out that he shapes the EQ with Multiband 1, and boosts the level with multiband 2. I don't know how he came up with this, but it is the "Punchiest" bass I've ever heard, if "Punchiest" can even be used as a word. If you ever mess with the "7 Wonders" preset, I encourage you to leave the first 3 bands in multiband 1 untouched, as well as band 1 in multiband 2. These are the secret of the awesome bass sound in 7 wonders.

Anyway, to achieve the highs that I wanted, here's what I did:
1) Added 2 more bands to multiband 1, making it 9 bands total, with specific high end bands of 9khz, 12khz, and 15khz.
2) Added 1 more band to multiband 2, so that the high final mix level could be controlled separately just like the bass.
3) Set up EQ similar to what Bojcha did with the bass bands.
4) Set the attack and release on the 2 high end bands in Multiband 1 to have fast release to "smash 'em good".
5) Flattened out all of the mix levels for the middle bands. I don't really like fooling with midrange EQ. The only thing that Bojcha had really boosted was the 5400hz range.
6) Turned on absolute highs for 10khz-18khz
7) In advanced clipper, activated the Sparkling Highs function, and added some "Dirty Highs".
8) Reset the Natural Dynamics to default. Didn't like the way it was set up for "7 Wonders". Way too much midrange punch. I did back the effect strength off from 1 to .50 . Setting to 1 seems too strong. Even .50 may be a little too strong.

Inviting you to listen and give me your honest opinion of the sound. All comments welcome. All suggestions for improvement welcome.
http://tunein.com/radio/The-MOVe-s276047/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:13 pm 

Attachment:
8th Wonder.sts [88.95 KiB]
Downloaded 921 times
After running this preset on my radio station for about a month, and continuing to tweak the settings, I'm posting the final preset here. It pretty much sounds exactly like I want it to now. Or rather, the best I can make it sound, using "7 Wonders" as a basis.

I had a few of the attack and release settings goofed up when I changed from 7 bands to 9. In reality, I ultimately didn't like the sound of "smashing the crap out of the high end" so I backed off on the really fast attack and release times, and just let the "Sparkling Highs" setting do its job, which sounds much better to me.

I boosted the 6KHZ band a bit (added another .5db). I originally had backed it down too far and the music was sounding a little "muddy".

I changed the Natural Dynamics back to the way Bojcha had them set. After having a while to compare his settings to the default, his deliver quite a bit more punch to percussion sounds in music, which is preferred for me, on a pop radio station. I had originally thought that his settings were contributing to the "tinny" sound of "7 Wonders", which is why I went back to the default, but I finally figured out that the 6KHZ band was the culprit.

What you are hearing on my radio stream link listed in the original post, is exactly what is posted here. So, if you like what you hear, this will give you the exact same sound.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:41 pm 

Good sound...but for better results the input signal is too low

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:02 pm 

Sounds good; using for general purpose listening rather than streaming. Signal level is fine on most songs I've tried whereas some presets reduced even the loudest songs to extremely quiet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm 

Quote:
Good sound...but for better results the input signal is too low
Not certain I agree with you, but maybe you should explain better. I'm seeing a good 10-15db of gain reduction in the input, which looks really good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:11 am 

Congratulations Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!