How good does this preset sound?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Excelent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not that good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:48 pm 

ive been lately trying to replicate all makes of ORBAN OPTIMOD FM analog processors in Stereotool such as the OPTIMOD 8000, 8100, 8182, 9100 etc. the easiest to replicate is the 8000 model.

the 8000 audio chain consists of an AGC, HF limiter, instant limiter and the safety clipper. in S.T, it is arranged as an AGC, multiband 1, acting as an HF limiter, CRITICAL for FM, multiband 2 acting as the instant limiter and the advanced clipper as the safety clipper found in the 8000.

As stated in the manual of this processor, ORBAN pourposely limited the 8000's maximum gain reduction to 15DB. this makes sure the audio does not loose its dynamics and dull the program. this also makes the audio quality EXTREAMLY clean. the processor was made during the mid 70's and it was intending only as an automatic gain controller and a limiter for FM, as overmodulation, especialy by high frequency content causes horrible distortion and also resalts in illegal interferance to other FM stations. the preset is not designed to compeate with the loudness war, as this processor was against it and was only for clean, dynamic and natual audio quality

To my ears, the audio quality sounds EXTREAMLY clean as the audio is only processed in single band (well, the high frequency limiting makes it 2 band) and because the timing of the AGC and the limiting matches the human hearing, no one will ever hear the 'processed sound'. this preset is good for any audio programing. the only setting that can be adjusted, exactly in the 8000 is the multiband 2 release behaviour. although i recomend the preset as it is, as adjusting other settings other than the actual included settings can damage the audio quality.

Attachments:
optimod 8000.sts [150.79 KiB]
Downloaded 371 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:55 pm 

Did you put non-linearity same as in Optimod8000 to atleast mimic that nonlinearanalog path? No, and that means alot as you know ST is fully phase-linear at defaults. So how this can't sound anything like any optimod, and it never will because many other things.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:16 am 

Quote:
Did you put non-linearity same as in Optimod8000 to atleast mimic that nonlinearanalog path? No, and that means alot as you know ST is fully phase-linear at defaults. So how this can't sound anything like any optimod, and it never will because many other things.
well, this preset is made to replicate it to an extent, not fully. What you are saying is indeed true. the 8000 is compleately analog and it uses transistors, diodes, amplifiers as part of many components and they have their own nonlinearity and are impossible to replicate in S.T. the filters are probaly the only thing i can change to adjust nonlinearity. i dont own a 8000 so i am only relying on videos, FM stations i know use this box and the manual.